Thursday, March 22, 2012

Of games and (molten lava) chocolate cakes

Actually, let's talk about the chocolate cakes first. Haha. Went over to 3 Inch Sin for their molten lava cakes today. Cluny Court's outlet closing down so we decided to give it one last visit. Will have to go to the millenia walk outlet sometime in the future :))

Anyways, wahhhh, those cakes are still as good (and as fattening!!) as ever. Still a good pick me up that's for sure. I don't think I can eat it like every week since I'm not a super chocolate fan but every once in a while? Definitely. It's really, really good molten lava cake. That meltiness as u break thru the crust... *sighs in happy joy* Yay to chocolate cakes!

Moving on to gamessssss! First of all, Dangan Ronpa is like the best. Why isn't there an English release of it? And like why don't I have a PSP. I tell you if I have money and like Dangan Ronpa comes out in English (or maybe I should just really, really push myself and study my kanji and buy the Jap game) I will buy a PSP just to play the game. Or would be nice if they port it to the PSVita then at least I can get a newer, (hopefully) more relevant console as opposed to the PSP. Not that PSP is becoming obsolete (ok fine laugh. I know everybody's saying that it is becoming obsolete).

But going back to Dangan Ronpa. It's awesome wrapped in amazing wrapped in so much fun! Sure, there's plot holes but there always are. However, it is still a well-written, entertaining and full of amazing twists game. The characters are probably the best aspect of the game though. They are well-developed (admittedly some more than others) and funny and there's always something more to them beyond the initial stereotypes that you might have gotten during character intro. I realise I'm not explaining things very well LOL, but well

tl;dr I love this game called Dangan Ronpa and I wish I can play it myself OMG but I can't coz it hasn't been translated/localised and it's a PSP game. Well-written, entertaining, twisty with the best characters.

Enough unsubstantial gushing! What is the game about? It's a Japanese mystery adventure/horror game. I guess that's the best genre to categorise it under. Plotwise, "Fifteen super-elite students have been locked in the school and they are forced to live in this isolated community. There is a special rule for the students: only murderers can graduate from the school, and this rule turns the prosperous school into a place of despair. The protagonist, however, does not follow this rule. He investigates murders instead of murdering somebody and tries to figure out a way to escape from the school."


I love games. I love mystery, adventure and thriller kind of stuff so the plot definitely caught my eye. When I saw the actual game and how everything is put together, man I wish I owned a PSP and could play this game. Plus, the art is super pretty. Seriously. Very anime/manga yes, but doesn't make it any less pretty. Characters look good (or at least interesting) and the background and stuff are just really, really nice to look at. 

 



Another plus: the main villain (or at least the avatar of the main villain) is an evil, despair-inducing black and white teddy bear. With a voice that Japanese ppl would recognise as the voice of Doraemon. Seriously, maximum despair. Anyways, watch the trailer. It gives you an example of the art, how things go on and elements of game play.


Looks cool? Then check out this link for a damn fun cutscene from the game. 

Anyways, if you wanna find out more about the game or watch somebody play through it, check out this guy's playthrough of the game: Dangan Ronpa Let's Play. Basically, the OP's translating it from the original Japanese game to share it with us non-Japanese speaking people. Check out the thread and read through the game updates. It will probably eat up like at least one whole day of your life (won't be so bad if you properly pace yourself and like not marathon the whole thread) but it's WORTH IT! 

Bottomline, I love the game characters. They are just so interesting and engaging and pretty multi-faceted. And the writing is really, really good. The art is interesting and pretty. Basically all the elements of a good game right there. So ya, just go check out the Let's Play of Dangan Ronpa already. Prepare for an amazingly fun ride.

Done gushing. Wayyyyy too long an entry already. Shall stop here now. Hahaha. Post title should probably be changed to Of Dangan Ronpa and (molten lava) cakes instead of games in general. Ok fine, couple more stuff so that I can justify the title... 

I've just started playing Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (finally Siti. WHY DID YOU WAIT SO LONG TO START PLAYING THIS GAME?). fun fun fun! I like the idea of The World Ends With You (TWEWY) but I have no hand-eye coordination so I don't think I can handle the dual screen. Highly considering playing through 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors, but I'm too lazy to play/solve some of the harder puzzles in the game. *smacks self* It does seem interesting though and I know that reviews are mostly positive so I guess I'll get round to it. Just let me finish the Phoenix Wright games first. 

These games are fun coz they're different from my usual casual games, like the "Dash" series of games. Previously, the closest to these particular genre of games that I've played would be jRPG in the form of the Mega Man Battle Network series so  I guess I'm just really happy at having discovered new, genres of awesome games. 

Here's to more gaming in my future. HAHAHAHAHAH.
<3


No comments:

Post a Comment